Traveling solo as a woman is one of the most challenging, liberating and life changing things I have ever done. I have never been so present in the moment as when I waking up in a city not my own and my first thought is “what do I want to do today?”
If this is something that calls to you, below are my 8 tips on traveling solo – especially internationally.
- Hire a driver for airport transportation. 100% worth it. And girl…you deserve to be fabulous.
- Stay at an AirBnB – one of my favorite things is to feel like I live there. Plus the host usually has the best local recommendations.
- Schedule a personal guided tour for your first or second day there. This will help you get a lay of the land and learn your way around. You can make notes for more places to visit later and they will always know the best spots.
- Hire someone to do a half-day photography tour. Selfies are great – but you know that cool landmark would look even better in the background if someone else was taking a pic. AirBNB Experiences is a great place for this. Tons of professional photographers who would love to show you their city and take some photos.
- Don’t be afraid to sit at a restaurant by yourself. I know this is a hard one for some people. But ma’am, you already did the hard part by going on this trip solo.. You take your fine self out to dinner! I have met so many interesting people this way.
- Download Google Maps offline for walking directions. Enough said.
- Download the local language in Google Translate. This feature is amazing. It will even read and translate menus for you. Although, half the fun is figuring out how to communicate.
- Sit. Drink. Breath. Enjoy.